Friday, March 21, 2014
Pilot of missing jet made mystery call before takeoff: report
A report in The Sun said investigators are trying to work out who Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah spoke to in the cockpit before taking off for Beijing.
It is hoped the person on the other end of the call will provide a key clue to understanding the mystery of the missing flight.
Malaysian authorities have not commented on the lead or confirmed a phone call took place.
This information comes on the heels of a revelation that files had been deleted on Feb. 3 from Shah’s home flight simulator, just over a month before MH370 vanished.
Malaysia’s defense minister said they are working to restore the files to see if they will shed any light on what happened to the aircraft.
MH370 disappeared with 239 people on board on March 8.
The report comes as Australian authorities head to an area of the southern Indian Ocean off Western Australia where debris has been spotted by satellite.
The objects captured four days ago in one of the most isolated places in the world include one piece measuring 24 meters long and another about five meters in length.
Four aircraft are searching a 23,000 square kilometer area, which has been deemed the “best lead yet.”
This story originally appeared on News.com.au.